Let’s face it, eating healthy is not about dieting anymore. It’s about staying healthy and living longer. It’s about quality of life because if you eat the way I used to and most of America does, you are hurting.
Here are 10 terrifying stats about how we eat in America:
1. More than 1 billion tons of pesticide products are used each year in the United States alone, many of which are directly sprayed on our food. Pesticides have been linked to a variety of cancers and higher rates of birth defects.
2. Americans spend more than $100 billion on fast food each year.
3. The average teenage boy in the U.S. gets 10 percent of his daily calories from soda.
4. We now have more than double the rate of obesity in American children compared to the 1970s.
5. Obesity increased in 16 states last year and didn’t decrease in any state.
6. Another 2.6 million people fell below the poverty level last year. This often directly affects their ability to buy healthy food.
7. American children get about one quarter of their total vegetable servings in the form of potato chips and French fries.
8. We consume an average of 156 pounds of sugar every year.
9. Up to 10 billion donuts are consumed each year in the U.S. alone.
10. Genetically modified foods are found in up to 80 percent of our packaged foods in the U.S. A Russian study concluded that after three generations of eating GM feed, hamsters lost their ability to reproduce and some even had a rare disorder of hair growing in their mouths. I find that disturbing.
That’s devastating! As you know, my family started changing things up a while ago. It’s NOT easy. It takes time and energy and learning a new way of life. You have to think different, shop different, detox things.
For those of you that see things the way I see them and want to start changing things up, this will help. Here is a few days’ menu taken from the full weeks’ menu from my favorite cookbook, “This Is How We Eat.” by Anna Wight. (who just so happens to be my amazing sister. :))
Breakfast – Egg Muffins
Snack – Protein Balls
Lunch – Chicken Salad sandwich
Snack- Apple slices with peanut butter
Dinner – Turkey Soup, green salad with Vinaigrette Dressing
Breakfast – Quinoa & Poached Eggs
Snack – Nuts and cranberries
Lunch- Peanut butter and Coconut Sandwich, sliced avocados
Snack – Hard-boiled egg
Dinner- Eggplant Lasagna
She also has recipes like GF Cheeseburger Pizza, Homemade Hummus and lots, lots more in her cookbook.
You can get the hard copy or PDF file HERE!
As always, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact me! I am here to help! 🙂
Have a wonderful Monday!!!!