In a statement published by the official KCNA news agency, the General Staff of the Korean People’s Army said it was formally informing Washington that US threats would be “smashed by… cutting-edge smaller, lighter and diversified nuclear strike means”.
“The merciless operation of (our) revolutionary armed forces in this regard has been finally examined and ratified.”
The declaration came minutes after the United States announced it would deploy a land-based missile defence system to Guam to counter North Korean threats of a nuclear strike.
The United States Department of Defense issued a statement saying the truck-mounted launcher and radar system will be moved in next few weeks.
The missile system joins two destroyers deployed to the region in the past few days. The ships are also capable of intercepting intercontinental ballistic missile.
North Korea has been making increasingly hysterical threats against South Korea and the United States in recent weeks. However, the United States Department of Defense says it has not detected any unusual military movements or activity around missile sites within the rogue country.
North Korea’s threats and recent actions represent a “real and clear danger” to the United States as well as its allies South Korea and Japan,US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said.
“They have nuclear capacity now, they have missile delivery capacity now,” Hagel said after giving a major strategy speech at the National Defense University, calling Pyongyang’s “bellicose dangerous rhetoric” problematic.
“We take those threats seriously, we have to take those threats seriously,” he added.
“We are doing everything we can, working with the Chinese and others to defuse that situation on the peninsula.
“I hope the North will ratchet its very dangerous rhetoric down.”
- War Drums: North Korea declares it has given approval for a nuclear attack on the United States (vineoflife.net)
- North Korean army ‘given approval’ to launch nuclear strike on US threats (edithfunky.wordpress.com)
- Mega Radar and U.S. Destroyer Tasked Closer to Korea (news.usni.org)
- N. Korea approves nuclear strike on US (dailynewsegypt.com)
- US missile defence shield going to Guam as North Korean attack rhetoric intensifies (globalnews.ca)
- US missile defense shield to counter NKorea threat (cnsnews.com)
- US move missile defence system in response to ‘real and clear danger’ of North Korea (express.co.uk)